struck by the light in California


My eyes have started to hurt from so much light here. I have begun to be religious about wearing sunglasses. I remember getting off the plane and it was past midnight for me and I shaded my eyes because the light was so strong.
I think it's similar to Italy, these two (ormai) holiday destinations for me, and there is something so intoxicating about the light. Also, there is an excarnating aspect to it, making you want to be outside and be active. The evening light is particular too, the light is not glaring but softer and the colours are stronger.
Even though I've been teaching this summer in a Waldorf School, I've still kept my sketchbook active, worked intermittently on my watercolour series and even got around to some Museums, and my artistic eye has enjoyed feasting on light and colour and movement and form.

Comments

Popular Posts