Theory



Kandinsky said, "Theory is the lantern that illuminates the crystallized forms of yesterday and before."

I just read this sentence and thought of my recent interest in researching, and how it was sparked off by the process of writing my contextual essay a couple months ago. Up until that point I had not written anything this academic year. I was just working fully in my artistic practice, painting, exploring new techniques, studying. Once I began reading about process oriented methodologies in Delouse & Quattari 's A Thousand Plateaus and in articles such as Douglas' Thinking through Improvisation I began to understand the theory behind what I had been doing, the theory behind my own practice.

Now I'm attempting to do both at the same time, creative endeavours alongside research. Each is inspiring the other. What would Kandinsky say?



Deleuze, G & Guattari, F., 2013. A Thousand Plateaus. Bloomsbury Academic, London. 744 pages.
Douglas, A., 2012. Altering a Fixed Identity: Thinking through Improvisation. Critical Studies in Improvisation, Vol 8, Nov 2.
K.Lindsay & P.Vergo, 1982, Kandisky: Complete writings on art Volume One, Faber & Faber, p.141

Comments

Popular Posts