Directed-form or free-form?


Hans Hoffman's use of colour and improvisation are striking. I have found that in creating abstract works of art it is essential to know when to stop, to feel ones way into a painting, looking for balance of form and substance, but essentially to know when to stop. There is a certain amount of energy put out during the artistic process, which I believe is limited and cannot be forced, a certain time for creativity to seep through.

I found that I have been working in two distinctly different ways, one which is directed-form (my news article interpretations and photography) and the other one is free-form (abstract paintings) where the colour and brushstroke that lead the way. The latter is much more challenging, but just as rewarding and surprising when it turns out well.


Comments

Popular Posts