Howard Hodgkin




I recently discovered a contemporary painter similarly interested in process painting, the late Howard Hodgkin. It was interesting to hear him talking about art in BBC's Desert Island Discs, partly because what I feel from his paintings is surprisingly contradictory of what I would expect from an eloquent knighted British painter. The paintings are intuitive explorations of colour and form and like the one above, they express movement, intuitive process and a clear understanding of colour. 
During the interview, he mentioned that being a painter was a selfish wish and this is what I felt in the past as well. It was one of the reasons I stopped painting for ten years or so. Rediscovering intuition inspired me to work again, in a more abstract way. The freedom of abstraction is alluring because you can create your own language and space through shapes, colour and texture. 



Comments

Popular Posts